Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Passive Solar Nautilus House



It has been a struggle for me to post the pictures of the floor plan and the model I'm constructing of my Nautilus House. Generally, anytime I (or anyone) mention something different than the accepted mainstream beliefs, we end up being ridiculed and thought totally weird. The concept for this house came to me from Spirit, in a meditation about 10 years ago.

The shape of this house is based ion a Fibonacci Spiral, or Phi:The Golden Number/Golden Mean/Golden Ratio.
.


Putting that aside, there are still many, many questions still to answer in fine-tuning in the plans for this house. The changing pitch of the roof in each section will be a real challenge to build. The "public space" of kitchen, dining and living room are planned to be one large open space, with probably a kitchen counter/bar as a visual separation. Then there are the things not definable, like the energy contained within the Fibonacci spiral shape.



There are a number of things I see built into this house. First off, it is basically Passive Solar, with the long exterior window-wall of the living room facing south. I envision radiant hot water pipes in a well-insulated concrete slab floor, now that hot water heat with long flexible lengths of piping to prevent leaks at junctions is possible, and affordable.




Some sustainable considerations include: a greywater system, composting toilet, earth cooling tubes, rocket mass heater, solar chimney, solar heated water, possible passive solar greenhouse attached, sustainable forestry adjacent to the site, and a sheet-mulched, no-dig permaculture / edible food forest garden.

I envision this as a long term project that includes other eco-buildings, food forest gardens, aquaculture ponds, coppicing and possible timber production depending on the site, a classroom for courses and workshops, orchard, cider making facility, wild food, wildlife refuge and maybe even part a future small sustainable community.

This house is only 1 bedroom, with slightly under 900 square feet of living space, but could be built to include one more turn of the "nautilus shell" so there are 2 bedrooms. Alternatively, there could be a loft bedroom above the private spaces (laundry/pantry, bath, and bedroom) without increasing the footprint. I didn't even consider a 2 bedroom mock-up since there is so much interest today in smaller houses, rather than McMansions.

I looked into several different types of exterior construction... from straw-bale, earthbag, and cob to a cast-in-place sculptural form like Flying Concrete. In the end I decided the transition to a passive solar non-conventional shape would be more readily accepted by using conventional stick-building techniques. The large vaulted, open (public) space with exposed wood beams supporting a wood tongue and groove ceiling would be striking, with a strong feel of "mountain getaway cabin".

I am hoping to interest some university (or perhaps private) schools with sustainable and/or alternative energy departments into considering this house as a hands-on teaching project.

28 comments:

  1. I love it! My husband is a licensed architect and my degree is in architecture. I think this would be a great advanced design project for architecture students to work on.

    The University of Virginia and Virginia Polytechnic have good programs. I'm sure someone would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's nice to have a compliment from someone who knows architecture!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see it out there!!!

    "Leah's Mom"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, although it's a little scary wondering what the reaction is really, since so few folks ever leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like this for on grid..set high on foundation, alternating pattern of to below...

      Delete
  4. I visit often but have never left a comment before. I absolutely love the whole concept. I am no expert but this appeals to me. I can already picture polished concrete floors and the sun streaming in through southern windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm SO glad you stopped by and posted that you like it!

      Delete
  5. I've been a lurker for a while as well. This so reminds me of the amish round barns (just more and better). I would want mine in stone but small is the new in thing and frankly most of us are downsizing in this day and economy. Would be great to see the finished project and how true it stayed to your orginal concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I fell in love with those barns 40-50 years ago when I first read Eric Sloan's An Age of Barns!

      I agree with stone for exterior walls, although stonework is expensive. Maybe something along the lines of what the Nearings did might be more affordable, although I much prefer the texture of the stonework that Frank Lloyd Wright used in many of his houses. I thing it was Crab Orchard stone from Tennessee.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. What a grand vision this is Darius! I just love it and hope you can find the interested parties to help you launch the idea publicly. The long living room window is awesome, it would make a great beach house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a "grand" vision, one I hope to see to fruition. It would be great to have a lovely view out of that bank of windows, perhaps a lake or as you suggest, the beach.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful! I LOVE it!!! I hate square/rectangular homes (although I do live in one) I like rounded, natural living space. It's so much more inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in a few round houses and a couple of dome homes, plus we lived in a Quonset Hut one year when I was about 12. I think this Nautilus shape will accommodate furniture and decorating easier.

      I've also stopped gardening in little rectangular soldier rows. Both feel so much more natural. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I'd like to see a yurt version that you could fold up and move. Cool design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be difficult to move as a yurt, due to the increasingly-longer roof members, but a movable version IS intriguing. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I read often but I don't think I've commented before. I love this plan! I live in a box right now, and although the much larger and more complex box I grew up in had a lot of character, it was still a box. I would be glad to see other more sensible options start cropping up in the society's general awareness. Thanks all of you wonderful blogging, and I hope someone will see the potential here and be willing to help you out with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of us live in "boxes", and unfortunately too many only think in boxes, too.

      I'm glad you stepped up to comment!

      Delete
  10. This design really appeals to me. It's both functional and beautiful (and mathematical!) - like so many of the wonderful designs in nature. You've clearly put a lot of time and thought into it, and I admire you for that.

    It'd be really cool to do another complete 360-degree wrap of the nautilus shell in gardens, orchards and pastures!

    I'm really glad you put this out there for the world to find, even though it was a tough personal decision. It's hard to open up your 'baby' to criticism! But it will inspire someone else out there to take the idea and run with it, and who knows where it will evolve to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darren, what great idea about "wrapping" the nautilus shell in gardens of a larger Fibonacci version!

      Yes, putting my "baby" out there is scary and I'm glad I finally did. Now for some group, or someone, to find and fund it!

      Delete
  11. A kindred spirit. I'm back to digging out the walking paths this morning on my vegetable garden this morning. It is being laid out the same way with a 55x34 golden ratio. The segments are being raised using honeysuckle stalks that needed cleared to make room in the woods for the shaded food plots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful. Was trying to figure how to fit more bedrooms (no need for a McMansion, just three growing kids)without greatly increasing the footprint when I read the idea for a loft, perfect! Bed 'pods' and the rest of that magical, curving shape for play area, with some dormer windows or skylights. That would serve them well, at least till the pre-teen years. Then they can design and help build their own tiny house in the house yard and become semi-independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who study metaphysic would not build such a house for long term stay, if just for a short vacation of not more than a week can accommodate. There are many missing sectors n sharp corners u hv to bear with when the unfriendly stars of 2 n 5 park at your dinning or bedroom. This year the vicious star 5 park at the center of the house n can cause nuisance to your health or finance. U can experience it by activating the center of the house after u hv shift into the house. Or u can try it in a house where u r presently staying. Activation like hammering, moving big furniture in n out or having an aquarium with a running pump.

      Delete
    2. Peter, I have NO clue what you mean by your comment, but I'm allowing it anyway because someone else might understand it.

      Delete
  13. Since I can remember, I have been fascinated by the Fibonacci Sequence and the Golden Ratio. Additionally, I have a profound appreciation for unique and inspired architecture. Congratulations on your manifestation.

    Tony. (birth date: 11/23)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the design. I am only against the traditional door , I prefer the sliding door takes up less space.

    Thank you for such a great blog learned alot so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it. Would suggest arched rafters, to enhance the look. The joint os the spiralling shell would make a decent rain catchment, if done more like a natural shell. Will actually be showing this to eldest daughter, since she's claustrophobic... I could see it with a spray-crete shell, rather than canvas, but, with the right sealants and top-coat, I would imagine they can be just as pretty as the natural conch shells...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered alternative exterior coverings, even contacted the man in Mexico who does extra- lightweight spray coverings. I forget the name but they are marvelous.

      I'd love more of a natural shell look but considering money, wood would be cheaper.

      Delete
    2. Oh I just remembered, it's Flying Concrete!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.