Friday, June 18, 2010

Photos from the Garden



I thought I'd post a few photos from my garden. Above are some hollyhocks I planted as seedlings summer before last. This year they finally grew more than 6" tall, and actually bloomed! They are perennial so I'll have them around for some time, just don't know the life-span. I'll save seeds, for sure.



Last spring I planted a few small whips of some fruiting trees and shrubs. Three are Nanking cherries, and this year two of the three bore fruit... a whopping 2 to 4 cherries on each! I planted these for the birds, in hopes they might leave my blueberries alone. Ya think?


I have some small fruit on my potted Patio Peach. It is not winter hardy here so it goes in the root cellar for winter. I got it last June, in a 6" pot.


I have several blueberries in pots but I think the space is ready to put them in the ground this summer. The pH of my yard is too high for blueberries so I have been amending a spot with elemental sulfur.



Here's the covered bridge leading from the road and crossing the creek to our house. Older photo but nothing's changed.






And finally... the great old single-lane stone railroad underpass leading from the highway down to our neighborhood. The stones look like the ones the stonemasons chiseled for the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway stonework for the many tunnels and bridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.